Translate

August 6, 2011

Lets Talk Religion( or not)

Photobucket
It's a touchy subject, everyone knows this, so you may ask why I would even want to dip a toe into those waters. I am just doing it because I can.

Disclaimer, I might possibly say things that make you mad in this blog, these are simply my thoughts, I am welcome to voice them the same as you.

Well lets just say I like to start shit and what better way than with a discussion about religion.

I am not posting this blog to bash religion, or to push my beliefs on anyone else, I am simply putting what I believe into writing, as well as my reasons for believing this.

First off I am not an atheist, I am agnostic atheist. For those who do not know what an agnostic atheist is, its simplest definition would be- a person who does not believe in any God, but doesn't deny one might exist. In other words I am skeptic. You can go HERE for a detailed explanation.





Why am I an agnostic you may ask? Good question,I have often asked myself why I don't believe in God (and by God I mean the Christian one). I have tried in the past to believe, I was raised Roman Catholic. I have thought and thought about the possibility of the existence of God.

The only answers I have been able to personally come up with are these, if there is a God he no longer cares about human kind or is to busy contemplating his own divinity to care.

Sure maybe in the past he existed, maybe Jesus is really his son, or he could have been the son of a woman who didnt want to admit that she got pregnant by sleeping around. We only have what she says as proof. I mean did anyone check to make sure she was a virgin, nope only her word and a hasty marriage before the child was born. I can hear all the religious people screaming and pulling at their hair at this point. I am sure you will again if you keep reading.

The next part that made me loose faith was the first time that I read the Bible, I started in Genesis and stopped when I read this line in Genesis 5:3 When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth.
I was about 10 at the time, when I first read this, it was after my first Catechism Class. I literally said to myself ok well now I know this is total bull, a man lived to 130, I kept reading, I finally put the book down when he reached 900 years old.

What gives, why did they all grow to be so old. That is pretty much when I lost my faith. I moved onto things that to me were more believable, like plants, trees, and the sun. I don't deny that there might be something out there, but for me its not God, and please I don't need to be saved or prayed for. I appreciate the thought though.

Most of my family are believers, I don't mind, as long as they don't mind me.
Maybe I am agnostic because I am still searching for what I believe in, but for now I will keep on searching, I just know its not God that I am looking for.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree and believe the same. To much of religion is just accepted without proof, makes no sense to me. That and to much of it contradicts it'self, constantly changes or is rewritten to suit certain faiths or persons needs.

    ReplyDelete

back to top